Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Turning a volunteer position into a paid position...One LA Fellow's story

Roxanne Rock, Cohort 4, recently shared how her volunteer position turned into a paid position.


I'm glad to report that I have completed my 100 volunteer hours for City Scholars Foundation.  It was a rewarding experience that allowed me to use my administrative skills and gave me the opportunity to work with the 2010 MS Suite.  The inhouse staff is comprised of just two people - the Founder and the Program Manager - so it felt good that I was able to attend to all of the small tasks it takes to put a program on.  Once my 100 hours were completed I let them know that I intended to volunteer to help with their upcoming program but that I had to reduce my contribution from two days to one day per week.  They knew that they needed more help than that to tend to all of the details.  They decided to hire a temp two days a week through October.  They offered me that opportunity.  Now I can say that I work for pay two days a week and am still able to continue my job search and networking three days a  week.  Thanks to LA Fellows, I get to update my resume to show that I am working!  













Roxanne Rock
Cohort 4

No comments:

Post a Comment