Friday, February 4, 2011

LA Fellows Cohort 2...The First Week

LA Fellows Cohort 2




The First Week



Watch that first step, it’s a doozy! We thought we were ready, we thought we knew what we were in for.



We thought we had had enough sleep.



And enough coffee.



Oh, that’s just me.



Monday’s topic didn’t look too stressful: Team Building and Attitude Adjustment. Hey, my attitude’s pretty good! And I love community building, it’s one of my non-negotiables. What I didn’t count on was the intense level of listening I would have to do. We are getting information every second of every day at LA Fellows. Important information that could change our lives! Better not miss anything!



Allison did the afternoon and I’ve already learned a lot from her, program stuff, sure, but also pacing and how to bring the class into the discussion. She is so warm and friendly, but also knowledgeable and clever: a great facilitator!



Wednesday was hard for everyone, but in a good way. I don’t know about you, but I did NOT think this job search thing would be so difficult. I don’t know why I thought that, of course. If it were easy, all of these amazing Fellows would already be employed! I had a very funny experience, reconnecting after 18 years and another life with our instructor, Larry Braman. We sang together long ago and far away! Larry was terrific and certainly let us know more of the nuts-and-bolts of job search. Some of that we didn’t want to deal with, but I think we recovered and are moving forward from wherever we are now.



Friday we were treated to a “mind dump” from Andrea Mitchel, Grant Proposal Writer extraordinaire! Now there’s something I could do! Andrea is a font of information and clearly a great mentor to the new Proposal Writers in our midst. I can hardly wait till she comes back!



So now we have begun week 2, more focused, more ready, more determined than ever. If you are interested in joining our Fellowship, please do!



Peace.



Wendy Stackhouse, Cohort 2 and Blogger since 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment